[TowerTalk] Pier pin vs. burying in concrete

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Pier pin vs. burying in concrete
From: (
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 06:01:23 -0600
There has been a lot of speculation that the downward
forces on the base plate would prevent rotation about
a pier pin.  I know of one example where I'm sure there
was enough torque to rotate about a pier pin.

N4AR has a pair of 200 ft R45 towers with the bottom
sections in concrete.  One of these towers has a 4 high
stack of CC 4L20's.  After a tornado passed by his QTH
he was cleaning up around the base of the tower when a
finger went down into a hole.  The tower rotated enough
to SHEAR OFF all 3 legs!

de  Tom  N4KG

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A