[TowerTalk] Pier pin vs. burying in concrete

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Pier pin vs. burying in concrete
From: (Steve Maki)
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 10:32:10 -0400
"Stan Stockton" <> wrote:

>On Kurt's website he makes the following observation referring to a tower
>that is mounted on a pier with the equivalent of a ball socket mount:
>"Putting the tower on a free base connection has allowed us to increase the
>antenna loads by 49%."
> I am interested in a practical means of achieving this type of free
>rotating base. Will be out of town for 8 days, but will be interested to see
>if someone has a good, practical way of achieving this.

IF the Rohn flat plate were strong enough, one could simply place a
small spacer, like a large nut, around the pin & under the plate.

So the obvious solution would be to beef up the Rohn plate to an
appropriate thickness. I would guess 3/4" would do it for normal
ham installs. Kurt?

Steve K8LX

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A