[TowerTalk] Anybody try the F12 XR49 or XR51

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Anybody try the F12 XR49 or XR51
From: (
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 11:52:14 EDT

> Well I'm finally replacing the beams I lost in the Ice storm of '98. I
>  have a 150' guyed tower with a HyGain HDR300A, and I'm wondering what to
>  put on top. That XR49 looks interesting! Anyone tried it? Perhaps a
>  better choice for me would be the XR51 (40M fan)... anyone care to
>  relate their experience these? I would like to hear any info regarding
>  their installation. They are bigger than anything I've tried to install
>  in the past.

    These are BIG antennas. Until you've stood next to an assembled one, it's
hard to imagine how big.

    The HDR-300 may not be enough rotator. The Effective Moment of the
antenna and the rotator are almost identical - about 5k ft/lbs - but the
HDR-300 ain't that robust, especially in the splined output shaft, brake,

>  Another possibility would be a more modest HyGain TH11
>  with a 2 el 40. Any suggestions for a reasonable antenna to stack with
>  the TH11?

    You mean besides another TH11? That would be my approach. Or a stack of
C31XR's, etc. Much more reasonable set-up and you can use a T2X to turn them
as well as your HDR-300..

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A