[TowerTalk] Anybody try the F12 XR49 or XR51

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Anybody try the F12 XR49 or XR51
From: (Rick Bullon)
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 00:46:33 -0000
>> > Well I'm finally replacing the beams I lost in the Ice storm of '98. I
> >  have a 150' guyed tower with a HyGain HDR300A, and I'm wondering what
> >  put on top. That XR49 looks interesting! Anyone tried it? Perhaps a
> >  better choice for me would be the XR51 (40M fan)... anyone care to
> >  relate their experience these? I would like to hear any info regarding
> >  their installation. They are bigger than anything I've tried to install
> >  in the past.
>     These are BIG antennas. Until you've stood next to an assembled one,
>hard to imagine how big.
>     The HDR-300 may not be enough rotator. The Effective Moment of the
>antenna and the rotator are almost identical - about 5k ft/lbs - but the
>HDR-300 ain't that robust, especially in the splined output shaft, brake,
> >  Another possibility would be a more modest HyGain TH11
> >  with a 2 el 40. Any suggestions for a reasonable antenna to stack with
> >  the TH11?
>     You mean besides another TH11? That would be my approach. Or a stack
>C31XR's, etc. Much more reasonable set-up and you can use a T2X to turn
>as well as your HDR-300..
>Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
>Tower Tech
I don't think another TH-11 will help him on 40 meters, unless he gamma
matches the boom.
Now with a TH-11 at 150' and and another one at about 40' either fixed or
side mounted and maybe 1 in the middle  now that would be a stack (
substitute your favorite tribander in the above example except for the
Mosley dummy load antennas). A good 2el 40meter beam about 12 to 15 ft above
the top tribander would round out the tower. Of course he could go with the
bigger F-12 tribanders if he has the tower and rotor to handle it.
I need to state that the above suggestion is from what I have learned from
this list. I have not tried any of this yet!
My tower and beams are still on the ground, I have 70' of R25 (base embed in
concrete) 2 TH6 DXX beams to go at about 71 and 36 ft feed via StackMatch &
TX2 rotor. Going to shunt feed the tower for 160 and use Phillystrand for
guys all this is already on site still need to get coax and rotor cable. I
will put up a 4 square for 80 ( 4 slopers don't have enough tower for the
bent arrays ). I have made a deal on a f-12 40 meter beam just have to get
with the guy and pay him for it and pick it up, it will go on top of a 20'
2" diameter mast wit .025" wall thickness.
So what I have suggested above is what I am planning to do here just on a
smaller scale :)

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A