[TowerTalk] Rohn fiber insulators

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn fiber insulators
From: (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 08:24:29 -0400
At 06:53 AM 6/7/01 -0500, J. Kincade wrote:
>Still, to follow the "non-conducting materials for the first 1/2 wavelength
>at the lowest freq" (this rule makes perfect sense to me), one would need
>three of these end-to-end on each guy, and at $50 a pop x 2 guys, we're
>talking $900 minimum + fittings. Again makes 6 70' lengths of 6700-lb
>Phillystran look pretty attractive at about $530 + fittings, doesn't it?

Sure does, which is why I now am using all-Philly top guys, and moved the
fiberglass insulators down to my middle guy station.  And I got 3
previously-owned 100-foot lengths of 6700 lb. Philly for $75, with potted
ends, which made that look even better.

I would never use more than one of these per guy, and then only if the
nearby antenna was for 20 meters and above.  Not 1/2 wavelength, but at
roughly 45 degrees from the antenna elements no interaction was discernible.

73, Pete N4ZR
No, no ... that's WEST Virginia

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A