[TowerTalk] Breaking up guy wires for nonresonance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Breaking up guy wires for nonresonance
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 10:32:37 +0000
What Guy is saying is:

There is a million ways to do it wrong and shoot yourself in the foot.
There are only a few ways to do it right.

Absent any concrete data or analysis proving you've done it right with
gobs of wires having multiple possible resonances, go for non-resonant
guys.
Unsupported testimonials just don't hack it.

Of course some people don't care and are happy no matter what they
have.....
For them, I prescribe G5RV's or verticals without radials.

73 de Brian/K3KO

"Guy Olinger, K2AV" wrote:

> Ken blends a number of things together in his post. Let's separate them
> out:
>
> Proportions are at issue. Most of the time I have seen a tribander and a
> two meter 10 element or some such up together, the two meter job has
> been five, six, ten feet above the tribander.  This is like 50 or 100
> feet separation on HF. The elements near the 2m driven element are
> something like ten, twelve inches apart. The interactions  between the
> 2m elements have the time (space) to form before the tribander below
> comes into play. To keep it analogous or proportional with the HF
> problem, IF you put that 2m beam inline with the tribander boom, only
> five inches above it, you WOULD get notable interaction, because one of
> the elements of the tribander is JUST AS TIGHTLY COUPLED into the 2m
> beam as its other elements.
>
> In the case of an 8JK, both elements are driven and create PRIMARY areas
> of partial cancellation IN THE NEAR FIELD. None such happens with a
> yagi. The primary radiation from the driven element is like a dipole.
> Only hole is off the ends.
>
> In the case of an HF triband or monoband yagi (what most people on this
> reflector are talking about) at the top of a tower with guy wires to
> within a few feet of top, the guy wire is right smack in the dense part
> of the near field, CAN have significant current on it, CAN distort the
> pattern. Put it in the model. It doesn't radiate only when it
> serendipitously just happens to balance out by some happy aspect of the
> instant orientation of the yagi elements and the length and orientation
> of the guy wire. From there rotate the yagi a bit and you're back into
> interaction. Or don't rotate it and see how much is radiating off the
> other two guys.
>
> On HF that upper guy is just like a snake in your pant leg. Plenty close
> enough to cause trouble. Best not ignore it.
>
> 73

> Guy Olinger
> Apex, NC, USA

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us