[TowerTalk] Wind Loading redux

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wind Loading redux
From: (George Fremin III - K5TR)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 08:34:27 -0700
On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 01:34:47AM -0700, Kurt Andress wrote:
> Yes, that's right, and it doesn't have to be a "large HF array", just a
> really imbalanced one to be a problem.
> The notorious "T2X sticky brake" thing probably has more to do with this
> than anything else. I have a perfectly (as good as it gets) balanced (mass
> & wind load) antenna on a Ham III that never...EVER...has the braking wedge
> fetch up, no matter how hard it is blowing. OTOH, I also have an antenna
> that is not perfectly balanced, and it fetches up the T2X wedge about 50%
> of the time in just about any wind over 15-20 mph. Call me crazy, but I
> think it shouldn't happen.

My experiance with the T2X and the Ham III / Ham IV rotators
leads me to think that if you were to swap out the
two between your towers you would still have a sticky brake
on teh T2X.

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."
K5TR (ex.WB5VZL)                            -- Dave Leeson W6NL

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A