[TowerTalk] Antenna surface area

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna surface area
From: SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:11:36 -0400
Mike, Bill, et al:

     Hold everything!  Multiplying by 0.6 or 0.67 as a shape factor is NOT
the correct number.  It's 1.2 - at least according to Mechanical Engineering
in Radar and Communications, one of K5IU's references.   Let me go through
this again.

     A long, thin cylinder's drag coefficient is 1.2 (above) or the book's
wrong!  A flat plate's drag coefficient is 2.0 according to the same book.
Therefore, 1.2 is 60% of 2.0.  In other words, the effective area (taking
shape into account) of a Yagi tube is 1.2 times GREATER than the projected
area (simply L X diameter), not 40% LESS.  Big difference and the reason
I've begun questioning manufacturers' spec sheets.

     (Jump in here anytime, Dick.)

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F