[TowerTalk] gottta move the tri-ex lm354 from new york to rhode island

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] gottta move the tri-ex lm354 from new york to rhode island
From: kb3aug@juno.com (kb3aug@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:27:42 -0400
Jim,  When I moved I used a 26 foot U haul. The LM-354 fit in there
laying down with a little to spare. To get it in the truck, we picked the
top of the tower up and set it in the truck with a piece of 2 inch pipe a
little wider then the tower under it. Three of us picked up the bottom
and walked it right in. Take the pipe out while your transporting it  and
do the same thing to get it out. You can do the same thing with a car
trailer, but the pipe will have to be as wide as the ramps on the
trailer. Piece of cake.

73, Bill KV3R
Riverton, WV
On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:13:33 -0400 "Jim Spears" <n1nk@home.com> writes:
> hi gang
>
> sure appreciate the info and hints regarding the tower base issue.
> as soon
> as I have the detailed plans I expect to talk with local fab shops
> to get
> the base assembly fabbed up as the consensus is that I should stay
> as far
> away from first call as I can.  I have confidence that the base can
> be
> fabbed.
>
> so the next step for me is to move the tower.  it has the erection
> fixture
> so getting it down on the ground won't be hard.  will have ample
> labor on
> the scene to get it off the ground onto a moving platform.  vehicle
> access
> to the yard is not a problem.  if I can get a good approach to
> getting it
> moving this way, then dealing with it when I get it home should be
> easier.
>
> question:  what is the best way to haul it 200 miles?  it is about
> 22'
> collapsed and about 1000 pounds.  first thought is a car haul
> trailer,
> second thought is a boat trailer.  third thought is a truck of the
> type used
> to retrieve broken cars with a tilt bed and winch.  another thought
> is a box
> truck, uhaul has a 26' one that might allow it to fit in laying from
> left
> front to right rear but is a high entry.
>
> would appreciate hints and advice from those who have moved these
> kind of
> things around.
>
> I have a grand cherokee with class 4 hitch so should be able to tow
> any kind
> of trailer that I come up with, if this is too small then I can use
> my
> motorhome but I would prefer to keep it down to the cherokee.
>
> thanks in advance.  having access to a lot of folks who have
> wrestled with
> these problems comes in real handy!
>
> jim spears
> N1NK
> x AB6R (from the land of tight cc7r's and local restrictions...)
>

> List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer?
> Call us
> for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting towers
> - up to
> 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
> HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
> www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
>
> -----

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us