[TowerTalk] Metal roof

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Metal roof
From: (Chris Burger)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:26:35 +0200
Some anecdotal evidence that could be useful.  In 1988, I operated as
3DA0/ZS6BCR.  I used a Butternut HF2V on 160, in the middle of a corrugated
iron barn roof, perhaps 20 x 40 m in size and peaked.

The SWR was very close to what I would have expected for a perfect ground.
The amp wouldn't load, and the exciter cut back to less than 50 W to protect
itself.  Yet, I managed to work 35 US stations at sunrise on the first
morning, in about 17 minutes!

Purely anecdotal, but it appears that a metal roof does have some redeeming

Chris R. Burger

PS:  If you don't do metric units, that barn was about 40 x 80 cubits, or 10
x 20 spans...   ;^>

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A