[TowerTalk] Ginpole for 20 foot sections

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ginpole for 20 foot sections
From: (Steve Maki)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:59:19 -0400
"Stan Stockton" <> wrote:

>About a decade ago I acquired a little broadcast tower and am now wanting to
>put it up.  There are eight sections, 20 foot long each, about 18 inches on
>a side, solid rod legs about 1.5 inches in diameter, and each section weighs
>420 pounds.  Any ideas on the construction of a gin pole that would handle
>this thing would be appreciated.

As you can guess, because you've handled the sections (too many
times probably :-)), this stuff will require a good stout gin

50' of Rohn 45 makes a nice gin pole for handling 20' sections
of the 400lb-600lb variety. The 50' gin pole is lashed to the tower
with say 27'-30' below, and 20'-23' above the top. That way, it's
easy to pull the gin pole up into place with no tendency to flip

It can be lashed to the tower with strong rope; because the two
lash points are 30' apart, a little slop is not fatal to the
operation. Make sure that there is a little offset built into
the lashing system. For instance, you might attach a horizontal
2"x2" angle to the gin pole at each of the two lash points

It's best to have two independant pulleys and winches - one for
the top of the gin pole, and one for the top of the tower (to
pull the gin pole up into place).

That said, I think you would be better off assembling it on the
ground and having a crane pop it up, assuming a crane can get
into the area. If everything was ready, a half day total of
crane time should do it. Around here, that would be $1000 or

Steve K8LX

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A