[TowerTalk] Wind Loading redux, PP Motors

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wind Loading redux, PP Motors
From: (Bill Coleman)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:45:42 -0400
On 6/8/01 5:10 PM, at wrote:

>used no TT Band Aids and have spent the .....
This seems to be a catch-phrase for you, Ken. You've used it in several

Frankly, I've been a charter member of TowerTalk (virutally) since it's
inception, and I've never seen anyone advocate any "band aid" approach to
tower or antenna design.

Indeed, the governing phylosophy of this list appears to be to do things
RIGHT. Doing the job right often means it costs more, but there are
substantial dangers to equipment, property or life doing it any other way.

Now, prop-pitch rotators are most definitely over-rated for the vast
majority of tower installations, so it is no wonder that they perform
superbly in that service. They are also as scarce as hens-teeth. And

I'm sure your 55-year-old prop pitch rotators will be giving fine service
to your grandchildren's heirs, but not all of us can afford, nor need

The new bell-housing rotators are also absurdly expensive, but it is a
lot easier to find used ones in servicable condition, or to bring back
one to condition yourself. (My Ham-M cost me less than $50 recently, plus
a couple hours of work to service it) If a few aerodynamic tricks make
the bell-housing rotators perform better, that's not a "band-aid", but a
good idea. Let's save those prop-pitches for when we really need them.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A