[TowerTalk] Tin roof blues

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tin roof blues
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:43:59 -0400
To the original poster, one of the ground-independent multiband verticals like
the R8, etc, would be quite good above a tin roof.

The difficulties with ground for a vertical are

1) insufficient radial density and subsequent power loss at the ground
connection used as a current sink. The R8 and its kind are a type of vertical
dipole, so this loss is not present.

2) E-plane losses in the ground directly underneath the vertical, the reason a
dense ground screen will help an R8 or the like. Doesn't have to actually
connect to an R8, it just puts a shield over the ground.

3) vertical polarization reflection loss in the first several hundred meters.
Only thing that fixes this is an obscene investment in radials, salt-water
marsh or ocean shore location.

Your tin room nicely takes care of 2) above. It's about as good a dense ground
screen under a vertical dipole as you will get. Plus the downward radiation
will be reflected at low angles in two directions if the roof is peaked.

When I lived in an apartment in Washington DC, I had a tar covered, barely
sloped tin roof, and the vertical I had up there played like gang-busters. I
just didn't know why. Now I do.

73 & good luck.