[TowerTalk] 3/16 EHS and Grips

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 3/16 EHS and Grips
From: (
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:22:30 -0600
I use the small rectangular insulators, 2.5 inches long,
1.5 inches across the diagonals, 1.0 inch across grooves,
with my 3/16 inch Big Grips.  I "reform" the radius of the
grips using a rubber mallot after twisting a couple of turns
to hold the sides together.  Place the looped end on a piece
of wood to protect the bottom side while whacking with the
rubber mallot.  It takes about 6 whacks with the rubber mallot
(or 3 or 4 whacks with a 3 lb hammer).  A properly reformed
grip will just fit in the grooves.  I know, it is a violation of the
"Prime Directive".  None of my 7 towers have fallen down in
20+ years and several very high wind events (tornado, etc).

de  Tom  N4KG

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001  Stan or Patricia Griffiths <>

> Does anyone know if ordinary 3/16" EHS with Guy Grips can be
> used with 500D insulators or do they have to be 502's?
> I have never seen a 3/16" guy grip . . .
> Stan

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A