[TowerTalk] Gin Pole and Rope Economy

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole and Rope Economy
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:06:50 -0600
Good points Stan.

Question:

What is the rated lifting capacity of the Rohn Gin Pole?

I have heard of people bending those expensive tools
trying to use it to raise antennas on a tram line.
I NEVER use a gin pole to pule anything up at an angle.

Another idea would be to use the Rohn Gin Pole to raise
and install (either inside the tower or strapped to the outside)
a long thick wall aluminum mast with an attached Block
and Tackle.  Then use this heavier duty mast to raise the
heavy steel mast.

The BEST idea is to install the heavy mast when only
20 or 30 ft of tower is assembled, either by walking it up
or gin pole or gin pole on a separate R25 tower 10 ft higher,
strapped alongside the BIG tower going up.

The scariest thing I ever did on a tower was install a 20 ft
1/4 inch wall steel mast in a 130 ft tower using a Rohn
Gin pole with NO mechanical advantage.  Never again!

de  Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----