[TowerTalk] gin pole and mechanical advantage

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] gin pole and mechanical advantage
From: (Stan or Patricia Griffiths)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:20:12 -0700
Hi Bill,

Well . . . apparently, in spite of your 35 years in the busness, you are missing
something because a properly rigged block and tackle WILL reduce the load on a
gin pole
compared to using a single block at the top.  At least, if you assume there is
reduction in load by using a block and tackle, you are erring in the safe

Like I said in an earlier post, you need to conduct the experiment and make the
measurements.  Obviously, you have not done that . . .

FireBrick wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something.
> If you hook a block and tackle to a gin pole, it will make the load easier
> to lift.
> IT WILL NOT put less strain on the gin pole.
> I worked 35 years on rope scaffolds. The one on the side of buildings.
> A block and tackle (in the trades they call them 'falls') will take less
> muscle but the load is still there.
> AND YOU MUST keep you hauling rope as vertical as possible.
> I'm sure you guys knew all this, I just must have missed something in the
> thread.
> A failure will not appear till a unit has passed final inspection.
> Bill H. in Chicagoland

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A