[TowerTalk] Solvents

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Solvents
From: wa2bpe@exotrope.net (WA2BPE)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 10:51:47 -0400
Gents,

Suggest being *VERY* careful with which solvents you use.  Some will do much
nastier
things to you than merely drying out your skin.  Some are absorbed and may/will
cause
disorientation, drunk-like conditions, cause liver and other organ damage; the
list is
long. Almost any *may* cause eye damage.  I suggest looking at and reading the
MSD
(Material Safety Data) sheets (they are free - by law - even paint at the local
hardware
store has MSD sheets which MUST be provided  if asked for) though they are
sometimes
difficult to understand and put into perspective.  The biggest problem with
MSDS is
understanding the terminology - not simple.  Some solvents are innocuous, some
are bad
actors, and some are downright vile  (**don't use carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)
or benzene
(C6H6) under ANY conditions**).  ...And rubber/plastic gloves aren't a
guarantee of
"protection"  Look at the following URLs as a start:

http://www.ilpi.com/msds/
http://msds.pdc.cornell.edu/msdssrch.asp
http://www.msdssearch.com/

There are some that are considerably safer, e.g., "Orange Solv" (and other
brands of
citrus oils based solvents) though they usually aren't quite as aggressive or
fast.
"Adequate" ventilation (outdoors is best) is essential for *any* of these.
BTW, even
the citrus-based will attack paint if allowed to set long enough.  It is best
to spot
try any solvent first to see if things are attacked; better safe than having
something
completely ruined.  This is not meant to lecture anyone, but I work in industry
where
safety courses are mandatory and while sometimes the warnings appear
ridiculous, it is
imperative to know what you are working with.

73,

Tom - WA2BPE

Dale L Martin wrote:

>   Electrical Contact Cleaner will
> > remove the oil but not harm the Windings. Some of these cleaner's could
> > attack the vanish on the winding and then they would short
> > out.... 73's Gene
> > k2qwd
> >

> I was wondering about the effects on the varnish, too.
>
> I know there are electric motor repair shops around Houston (and other
> cities, I'm sure--just drier than Houston's).  They must have ways to clean
> the motor windings without affecting the insulation.  Check around your area
> and see.  If they can do it, I'd jump for it...that way, I wouldn't have to
> fool with the Tri-chlor or any other solvents.
>
> 73,
> dale, kg5u
>

> List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
> for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting towers - up to
> 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
> HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
> www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
>
> -----

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us