[TowerTalk] Drilling Chrome-Moly Steel

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Drilling Chrome-Moly Steel
From: (Charlie Summers)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:28:18 -0000
Can someone please tell me what type of drill bit I need to drill out a
5/16" diameter hole in my existing 2" mast with 3/8" wall.  I want to go to
5/8 if possible but the mast may just be too hard.

I would rather stay away from the real expensive, like $150.00, drill bits,
instead preferring to use several say cobalt tipped or titanium tipped or
some kind of hardened steel bit.

I have looked at McMaster-Carr's catalog and see what they recommend in
print but was hoping someone would be able to give me guidance based on

The other hooker is I have to drill this on the top of a tower so staying
there for hours will not be pleasant, especially with a heavy half inch

This is a rather personal request on a Tower-Talk related subject so
personal replies might be in order to:

Thanks and 73,

Charlie, W0YG..>>

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A