[TowerTalk] Drilling Chrome-Moly Steel

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Drilling Chrome-Moly Steel
From: Mike" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 07:08:59 -0700
About a year ago, I drilled and pinned a 2" chrome moly mast on the
tower (70') for the local club station. We used a Makita cordless
drill and some brand new HSS bits. I was pleasantly surprised at
how quickly we were able to penetrate the moly tubing (5 to 10
minutes).If you use a cordless drill make sure you battery is fully
charged, or that you have a spare battery around. We drilled several
holes and had to change batteries in the middle of the job.

P.S. Make sure you buy good drill bits from a industrial supply house
like MSC or McMaster Carr. The cheap import bits you find floating
around the home supply stores probably aren't up to the job.