[TowerTalk] 7075-T6 Aluminum

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 7075-T6 Aluminum
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 08:06:44 -0400
At 11:19 AM 6/21/01 +0100, David Robbins wrote:
>in aluminum alloy designations the first number is the alloy composition
number
>which can be looked up in a table to get the various percentages of
elements in
>the alloy.  the 'T' number is the heat treatment designation.  that can be
>looked up to tell you what type of heat treatment the material has had.  the
>heat treatment affects how the grains in the material are arranged, this can
>affect strength and hardness of the final material.  working after heat
>treatment as in drawing tubing or bending carribeaners or machining can
further
>affect the characteristics of the final product.
>
>Greg Gobleman wrote:
>>
>> I don't know about using 7075-T6 as a mast but you did ask about
>> other uses.  Something very similar, 7075-T9 is used as a popular
>> and tough arrow shaft.  What I don't know is, what the T6 or T9
>> designation means.  In manufacturing arrows they start with a
>> larger size tube and draw it down over many steps.

But aren't all aluminum alloys significantly less stiff than steel?  I
thought this and cost, more than ultimate yield strength, were what tended
to limit the usefulness of long aluminum masts.  Maybe this will smoke one
of the experts out of the undergrowth...

73, Pete N4ZR
No, no ... that's WEST Virginia

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----