[TowerTalk] Tilt antenna questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tilt antenna questions
From: rhodes@evertek.net (Jim Rhodes)
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 17:38:37 -0500
How about a simple sturdy bracket that would bolt to the standard mast
adapter plate and have a 1-5/8" shaft or tube fastened very securely
parallel to the boom spaced just far enough away from the boom to clear the
rotator. This certainly would be no place for hose clamps, but a sturdy
bracket designed to use good u-bolts to hold a tube or even using a solid
round stock & machining a flat spot on each end and bolts through the ends.
. Another advantage to this method would be that it would leave the antenna
itself in stock condition. The bad point would be that it would offset the
boom from the center of rotation and increase wind torque

At 01:53 PM 6/24/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Howdy, TowerTalkians --
>
>     Here's a question that has never been asked on TowerTalk before! They're
>pretty rare but nonetheless pop up occasionally.
>
>     What I need to do is to tilt a KT34A from its normal horizontally
>polarized position to a vertical position. The antenna will be mounted on a
>UST crank-up and the antenna needs to be vertical when the tower is down so
>the antenna can be "stored" in a vertical position when it's not being used.
>The problem is due to the fact that the antenna hangs over the neighbor's
>property and the neighbor has asked that it not be over his property when
>it's not being used.
>
>     Okay. So what I've got is a moderately small triband antenna with a 3"
>boom. I want to use the Yaesu G-550 elevation rotator which has a boom
>capacity of 1-5/8" (1.625"). The options as I see them are: 1) convert the 3"
>boom to a 1-5/8" one or 2) put some sort of smaller boom splice in the KT34A
>so that the part of the antenna at the elevation rotator will fit thru it.
>
>     Option 1 means that the 3" KLM insulated Lexan element brackets will
>either have to be scrapped or adapted to the smaller boomsize. Any ideas how
>to do either one?
>
>     Option 2 means some 'cut-and-hack' work on the boom plus some machine
>shop fabrication but lets me use the rest of the existing boom and hardware.
>
>     Wadda ya think? Can you think of any other options? All input
> appreciated.
>
>Cheers & tnx,    Steve    K7LXC
>Tower Tech
>
>List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
>for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting towers - up to
>96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
>HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
>
>-----

Jim Rhodes K0XU