[TowerTalk] The mast is here

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] The mast is here
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 02:42:13 +0100
Jerry,

What's the yield strength as specified from the mill?  That's the
important number.  You will loose about 20% in yield strength due to
galvanizing.  You'll also gain about .010 in O.D. if the galvanizer meets
the
ASTM specs. That 10 thousandths of an inch could hurt you if you are
not careful.  It'll cost you another $100 or so also.  I doubt that it's
worth it to
galvanize it.  See below.

As far as painting it, I wouldn't go to that much trouble.  Just sand it,
spray it with zinc chromate
(outside and as far in as you can) and a coating of Brite Zinc (or other
good cold galv spray) on top of the zinc chromate.  Check my Website for the
product distributors I used.
http://www.erols.com/n3rr
Once it's been treated as above, if any rust appears it won't eat it too
far.  The
Chrome moly is quite resistant and will tend to form surface rust only.
I have a 19 foot Chrome moly 2" O.D x 3/16 in tk (120,000 # yield strength)
mast supporting
an EF 180C and a 155CA with 3 feet inside the tower and 16 feet
out of the tower from @ 134 ft. - 150 ft.  Lots of pics on my Website.

73,
Bill, N3RR