[TowerTalk] Removing rivets?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Removing rivets?
From: (David Robbins)
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 16:55:41 +0100
if the rivets are tight you can use a drill bit just a bit larger than the hole
in the rivet.  most pop rivets take about a 1/8" hole, i use a 3/16" or so bit
and drill just until the head comes off, don't push hard and stop quickly or you
will enlarge the orginal hole.  when the head is off you can use a small awl or
nail set to push out the back side of the rivet.

if they are loose in the hole you can use a small dremel(sp?) tool or a file to
grind the head off.

if they are really loose ones and are aluminum you can often get a pair of side
cutting wire cutters under them and just snip the heads off.

Barry Kutner wrote:
> Looking for advice on how to remove rivets. New territory for me...
> Tnx,
> Barry

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto://
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A