[TowerTalk] How to raise mast?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How to raise mast?
From: (
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:59:19 EDT
In a message dated 7/10/01 7:54:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

> "If you need to get at the top antenna you can either climb the mast with
>  temporary steps or lower the mast."
>  I'm curious, what is the nature of these temporary steps; i.e., how are
>  made?  Bolts through holes in your mast, perhaps?

    Nope - what a hassle that would be; to say nothing of the stress riser of
each hole. They are 12-18 inch pieces of angle iron or aluminum. Drill them
for 2" U-bolts and attach them temporarily to the mast with a U-bolt and
saddle. Put them about a foot apart and head on up. (I also have mine drilled
for 3-inch masts/U-bolts.)

    A 2-inch mast is a little wobbly so I only like to climb them on a *real*
still day. Three-inchers OTOH don't move at all.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A