[TowerTalk] Sleeving Masts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sleeving Masts
From: k3gt@pgh.net (Bob Thacker)
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:29:33 -0400
Hello all,

Next project is to increase the antenna spacing on the crank up tower's
mast. Currently a TH11 is 6" above the tower top and a 402BA old HyGain 40
meter monobander is about 10' above it. Currently, there is some slight
degradation on the TH11's 15 and 17 meter bands resulting in a slightly high
(3.0 on 17 and 2.2 on 15...not too bad) VSWR.

The new antenna project calls for a Force 12 EF-30/40 to replace the HyGain
402BA. However, after discussions with Force 12 and this reflector, most
think that 12' spacing would lessen interaction between the antennas. So the
question is, without purchasing a new mast, how does one elongate the
current one? I have considered both internal and external sleeving methods
measuring about 3' for an 18" overlap. To accomplish the extra 2 to 3' in
mast length, the extension would be the same size as the current one. The
internal sleeving method appeals most since the antenna can be placed on the
mast at a lower level then slid up the mast into the 12' position.  The
current mast is 2" OD and .250" wall thickness. Any one tried this approach?

Thanks,

Bob, K3GT

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----