[TowerTalk] Top Hat Switch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Top Hat Switch
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 19:12:37 -0700
On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 20:53:53 -0400, Tom Rauch wrote:

>I'd switch a series inductance in at the base. There would be no
>measurable decrease in efficiency, and switching would be easier!!

At my former QTH I had a full size 80 meter vertical with a
motorized roller inductor at the base and it worked fine.  It was
in the circuit at all times, set for essentially zero inductance
at 4000 kHz and roll in whatever was needed for lower in the
band.  This doesn't take much of a coil - a few microhenrys as I
recall and being at the base, the voltage is low and easy to
handle.

Much easier than what you're trying to do, IMO.

73, Bill W7TI

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----