[TowerTalk] Horizontal loop and ladderline project

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Horizontal loop and ladderline project
From: (Charlie Ocker)
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:27:57 -0500
Bill Coleman wrote:
> How about mounting a balun outside, and bringing coax underground / into
> the building?

A balun work's best when it see's a pure resistance, or nearly so.  A
balun at the end of a piece of coax, feeding a length of balanced line
that feeds an antenna, will almost be guaranteed to see a reactive load.

A better idea would be to place the balun at the input of a balanced
tuner.  If there are difficulties in bringing in the balanced line to
the tuner, then a small section of shielded balanced line can be

Charlie  N9CO   (no expert on balanced lines, just my empirical

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A