[TowerTalk] Routing cables - tower to shack

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Routing cables - tower to shack
From: (
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:49:14 EDT
In a message dated 7/20/01 3:57:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

> It's clear that grounding the coax at the tower base, before it bends toward
>  the shack is the right thing to do.  However, I have only heard that the
>  coax shield should be grounded at this point.  Why not also place an
>  arrestor for the center conductor at this point as well?  It would seem
>  this would afford a certain amount of extra protection.
    The transient arrestor should be at the building entry, again to keep
lightning energy out of the house. Putting another one inline somewhere else
is a waste of money because you only need one inline at the Single Point of
your ground system. While having one on the tower would take care of
transients coming down the cables at that point, you've still got potential
problems between there and the building entry so the one on the tower really
doesn't do anything.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A