[TowerTalk] Hum and buzz noise

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hum and buzz noise
From: franknorton@home.com (Frank Norton)
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 09:53:28 -0400
An email was sent privately to Jerry but then I began to wonder how many
folks have been thru this kind of thing so here is what I recommended,

First of all:  CALL THE POWER COMPANY!!!  TELL THEM YOU ARE HAVING BROWN
OUTS.  THAT YOUR LIGHTS GO DIM, YOUR TV'S PICTURES CHANGE AND HUM COMES
FROM ALL THE PARTS YOU RELATE IN YOUR POST.  All capital letters means i'm
yelling, and yes, i'm yelling because you are in serious danger!   Some may
seem like exaggeration but it's not, u just haven't noticed it yet (it may
be going on while the equipment and lights are off.)

You may have a bad transformer connected to your house at best.  At worst
you will have a massive voltage spike ar any time that will blow out all of
your valuable electronic gear, causing a fire if u are not at home (or God
forbid u are asleep) to put it out when your TV bursts into flames (the
capacitors will explode-->phosphorus release and-----> FIRE!!!!!!  If u
live thru all these bad things that can happen and only burn up ur tv and
rig etc., u'll find the insurance company won't pay....they will tell u to
collect from power company which takes forever.

I hope u have figured out that I am speaking from experience.  My wife and
I could have been killed in a similar problem several years ago. The
following occurred in Libertyville Illinois, about 50 miles north of
Chicago.    I was a technician class ham and should have known better than
to wait as long as I did.  It started just like u describe....a hum in a
radio.  Then the TV volume would spike or the picture would flicker and
occasionally change size or shape.  Then it got worse, and the refrigerator
started to change temperature....some days it would sour milk and other
days it would freeze it (not solid, just crystals in the milk).  These are
not major symptoms to us are they?  I blamed it on appliance defects, or
line noise etc. but then.....I came home to find the fire department and
the electric company at our mobile home, and all the others in the
park.  Our TV had an electrical fire.  U know, the kind where the thing
stinks but no flames...luckily my wife recognized the smell and called both
the fire dept. and electric co. (I had been calling the electric co. to ask
questions for a few days).

We lost our TV, refrigerator, several small appliances, and my entire ham
setup except a hand held for 2 meters that was not in the charger.  We also
had "smoke" damage to the carpets and furniture.  The voltage had spiked so
badly that it did all this in a few minutes or a few weeks....we never got
a proper answer from the electric company.  Similar things were found in
many of our neighbors homes.

In anticipation of some questions--Yes they paid for everything but it took
about 6 months as we recall.  If we had not been awake it could have killed
us. It was all due to a bad transformer station about 1/4 mile from our
trailer park.  It went bad and could have killed many of us.  These days we
would have known to band together after it happened in a class action suit
and get damages properly.

I hope u will unplug ur electronic gear and call the electric company to
report ur problem in words like those up in the all caps section.  Ur lives
could depend on it!!!  If ur problem is not as severe, the power company
will at least fix anything wrong on their side of the meter/service entrance.

They will usually point out many errors in your wiring as well in order to
assist clean-up of ur electric service.  They will check ur ground, ur
service hook-up and anything up to the box.  Most of the service people I
have had do evaluations on our homes (we have our home service checked at
least every 3 or 4 years since the near miss) are very good about checking
all the possibilities once u get them to ur house.  Ur correct though, if
all you say is that u have receiver noise...they will probably never leave
the office.  Hence the need to clarify, in no uncertain terms, that
something is seriously wrong with ur electrical service.

U really can't lose by calling and reporting these symptoms.  If u
emphasize ur concern...as noted above...."welding noises" can be serious
and indicate impending danger.  Ur power company will act quickly to
evaluate ur situation.

Until u get them out to check ur service thoroughly---at minimum all of ur
equipment, TV, refrigerator motor and any other electric equipment (like
ham gear) are in jeopardy.

73,

Frank Norton
survivor of a near miss.