[TowerTalk] Lightning Observation

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning Observation
From: (Philip Florig)
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:28:37 -0500
At 22:41 7/22/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi Ford,
> > Is it possible that the three lines were temporarily DC biased by the
> > lightning?  How do you explain the > 1 second to discharge the lines?
>A large part of the problem is because once an arc is started, a
>very much lower voltage sustains the arc. Sometimes a breaker
>actually has to open and reset to stop the system from arcing.
>It's the same problem we have with power relays, and why antenna
>relays need to be overkill and not have materials that ionize or
>carbon track easily in the arc path.
>73, Tom W8JI

This is exactly right Tom. We use contactors and relays here for the DC
systems,and they have blowout coils or magnets to extinguish the arc. In
some of the
arc discharge systems you have to reduce the voltage to almost zero and
even reverse (in cases of capacitor action above the zero point) before the arc
will extinguish.

This is a great group reflectees and glad to be subscribed.  Keep up the great

73     Phil

Philip Florig
PO Box 44                   (or)
Worth, IL.  60482           amateur radio:W9IXX
USA                      also:J3X-T30,31,32,33P
                            team member:AH1A-J3A
Metro DX Club                    club call:W9TY
Oak Forest, IL.                   qsl via W9IXX

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A