[TowerTalk] Freestanding Towers

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Freestanding Towers
From: (Steve Maki)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:16:13 -0400
Gene Smar   AD3F wrote:

>     I, too, have no way to get a crane close to the tower site (OK - it'll
>cost me a lot of bucks, too.)  So I'm building my Trylon piece by piece
>above me as I climb it.  I first fully assembled the bottom section with the
>base stubs and set it into the hole.  After the concrete cured (a couple of
>weeks at least) I hauled the three legs for the second section up on ropes
>and bolted them in place.  Then I hauled up the angle pieces for that
>section and bolted them in place between the tower legs.  Then I continued
>with the legs for the next 8-foot section.  It's a pain but it can be done.
>It took me about 2 hours to assemble and straighten out each 8-foot section.

Why not assemble each section on the ground and hoist into place
with a gin pole? I installed many Trylons that way in the 80s and
it was a fairly smooth process. I seem to recall thinking, as I was
installing the stuff, of ways to minimize my time in the air on those
towers, as they are rather rough on the ankles & feet.

Steve K8LX