[TowerTalk] Freestanding Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Freestanding Towers
From: w5kp@swbell.net (J. Kincade)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:45:48 -0500
Gene, I thought crane or boom rental would be an arm an a leg, too. But on
the advice of K7LXC I checked around town today, no problem getting a 92'
boom truck for $66 per hour, with no minimum. Time charged is door-to-door,
so you pay for their travel time. This is NOT the gargantuan 60' long
rip-up-your-yard crane-on-wheels thing, but instead looks like about a
meduim sized 5-ton or so truck with outriggers and a 92' reach hydraulic
boom. You've probably seen them lifting AC units onto rooftops of buildings
for HVAC companies, which is their main bread and butter. They will not do
the rigging, you have to do that. Their driver will only maneuver the truck
and operate the boom. But they will provide any length or number of straps
that you need for your lifts, and carry a variety of hooks. They will even
come out Saturday for $81 per hour vice $66, which I will take advantage of
because the extra $15  per hour for the 3 hours I expect to need them (maybe
less) is cheaper than me missing a full day's work. I was surprised at the
reasonable rates, and I intend to use them instead of endangering myself and
a batch of friends. I suppose they could set the entire 80' 45G at one shot,
if I had the nerve to try to lift the whole thing fully assembled by picking
it at the top, but I'll probably do it in two 40' sections, because I'm
scared of folding up my new 45G. This particular outfit does work for
several hams in the area, as it turns out, and they are very knowledgeable
and accomodating for ham tower requirements. I'd bet every town of any size
has similar outfits. Check with the local HVAC companies and see who they
contract for their routine lifts.
73, Jerry W5KP