[TowerTalk] finest tuners and switches

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] finest tuners and switches
From: baycock@HIWAAY.NET (Bill Aycock)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 18:09:00 -0500
Tom-
I think you were very kind in your comments. The "Bliss" tuner is an
example of very poor design, from several views.  Your comments are
directed mostly at the electrical characteristics, which is appropriate,
with your back ground, but other aspects are also  worth noting.

The tuning controlls are on both sides of the unit, completely preventing
application in most Shack set-ups, and the placement of one on each side of
the unit is an ergonomic nightmare. No one could tune this unit in a hurry,
because it requires both hands. The material selection is peculiar, eg,
"Built to last, having a strong cabinet covered with durable, aesthetic
?Formica?." as an example. It looks like a good homebrew project by a
short-term ham.

The market now has several good tuners for less money, from several
sources. I don't see where this one can fit.

Bill-W4BSG

At 12:48 PM 7/27/01 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi Tom,
>
>> The finest antenna tuners and switches made today....Bar NONE!
>> http://www.tomstubes.com
>
>Inside photos would be nice. I don't know why every manufacturer
>doesn't do that. Is this tuner built with new parts, surplus parts, or
>used parts? It looks sorta surplus, with the big knife switch and all.

-
Bill Aycock   ---   Persimmon Hill
 Woodville, Alabama, US 35776
 (in the N.E. corner of the State)