[TowerTalk] Large Navy Antenna Farm in N. California

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Large Navy Antenna Farm in N. California
From: xusmc@psln.com (Todd Remington)
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 12:41:59 -0700
Mark Fancher wrote:

> A few years ago, I was stationed at Travis AFB, CA near Sacramento.  One
> day, I was taking a ride through the countryside when I came across a huge -
> I mean huge antenna farm.  It had all kinds of very tall towers, shorter
> towers and curtain arrays.  It was a ham's fantasy come true!
>
> I remember it was a Navy installation, but it didn't seem to be active
> anymore.  In fact, from what I recall, the base housing looked like it had
> been converted into county government housing for poor immigrant workers.
>
> This installation was about 10-20 miles north of Vacaville.
>
> Does anyone know what this base was used for, and is it still used by remote
> control?
>
> Maybe someone on Tower Talk was actually stationed there?

Hello Mark,
Never stationed there, but grew up in the area as a kid...You are most
likely referring to the Dixon transmitting site, which is east of
Vacaville. Was used by the Navy and controlled by NPG Rough and Ready
Naval Communications Station, Stockton, CA. NCS Stockton has been
shut down for a couple of years now, so don't know who uses the TX's,
maybe the VOA. Their impressive RX site was located down south along
HWY 99 near Delano...Hope that helps,

73 Todd KH2TJ/6

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----