[TowerTalk] grounding of coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] grounding of coax
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 23:16:54 -0400
John,

Go to my Website.  It's all explained there under the "lightning protection
subsystem" link.  I used Andrew Ground Kit, Model# 204989-1

www.erols.com/n3rr

There are two places that *every* coax cable on your tower should be
grounded:
You should ground the shield of coax as close to the antenna as possible and
as close to the bottom of the tower as possible.  More than two ground
points is not necessary, in fact, more than two can be detrimental in the
face of lightning. This type of lightning protection will not affect the HF
signal.

With type "N" connectors, you should *never* rely on the coax
connector-to-coax connector connection to a metal box, etc to serve as the
lightning protection ground.  Always use a ground kit.  And never use coax
or other braid as the ground wire. Always run that ground wire as straight
as possible to the tower leg or other ground point.  See the pictures on my
website under the lightning protection subsystem link.

Bill, N3RR