[TowerTalk] Freestanding Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Freestanding Towers
From: TexasRF@aol.com (TexasRF@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:40:53 EDT
Several years ago Rohn discontinued the BX style gin pole clamps. They were a
bit fragile and failure prone. The BX style clamps were used in pairs with
the P2545 12ft long aluminum gin pole.

We (Texas Towers) designed a heavier duty replacement for the Rohn clamps.
These new style clamps are also used in pairs and will fit Rohn BX towers as
well as 20G, 25G, 45G and 55G towers. The clamps will fit a 2" mast should
the need arise. They will also fit sections 2 through 9 of a Trylon tower.

The Rohn P2545 pole is considered too light for 55G sections but I have used
it for this on several occasions with no problems.

FYI, we have been contacted by the new owners of the BX series towers for
possible sales. They are basically ready to ship product now. We discussed at
length the problem of the 10ft boom length limitation stated in the Rohn
literature and they recognize the need to fix this.

Since the Trylon Titan towers have become readily available the demand for
the BX series has disappeared. The advantages of the Trylon series are many:
No boom length limitation, field replaceable braces and legs (freight damage
issue), heights up 96ft, heavy duty designs up to 99 sq ft (70mph/48ft) and
they are very price competitve.

The only problem thus far in selling these units is lack of engineering
documentation that might be needed for construction permits.

I can be reached at 1 800 272 3467 if anyone wishes to further discuss any of
this info.

Tnx/73 de Gerald Williamson, K5GW/Texas Towers

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----