[TowerTalk] Antenna Resonance: ratio to height AGL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Resonance: ratio to height AGL
From: franknorton@home.com (Frank Norton KB8XU)
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 02:07:57 -0400
Hello TT'ians,

A request for help concerning assembly and adjustment of Cushcraft 40 meter
Rotatable Dipole:

I found one of the older model Cushcraft 40M Rotatable Dipoles that Tom,
N4KG mentioned to me in a prior email.  I can't locate specific
instructions for this antenna. (the cushcraft tech site lists the manual
but when u download it, it is the manual for the multiband dipole with all
the traps--not much help.)

So anyway here r the details:  I have it at 12 feet or so off the
ground--best I can do for testing.  I got the following SWR curve after
carefully adjusting length from the center insulator to the trap and the
trap to the tip.  Here are the SWR numbers I get:  6.975=1.91, [I know it's
out of the band but I had to know ;-).]
7.025=1.45,  7.100=1.45,  7.150=1.81,  7.200=  2.39,  7.250=3.00,
7.299=3.66.  So  all this appears to tell me is that at 12 feet above
ground the dipole has best SWR/resonance at about 7.050.

I know that as we raise it in height the resonant frequency should go up. I
don't recall the equation; seems it was 25 kHz for ? feet increase AGL But
will it resonate in the area of 7.100-7.150 where I need it to?  It will
ultimately rest at 60 feet above ground--but once it's up, that's it I
can't work on it.  (I wud have to hire someone again, or impose once again
on the family lives of my friends.)

Isn't there some  way to figure this ahead of time?  As stated above, I
think  there is a ratio of feet or wavelengths above ground to the kHz the
antenna will go up in resonance.  But my MS plays tricks on my memory.  Can
anyone help me out?  Anyone recall the equation/ratio, if it even exists?

I've checked the ARRL Antenna Book 19th Edition but cud not locate the ratio

Tnx in advance,

Frank, KB8XU

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----