[TowerTalk] Tribander and 40M beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tribander and 40M beam
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 13:38:03 -0400
At 09:59 AM 8/20/01 -0600, Kevin Hemsley wrote:

>I'm getting close to the point of ordering an antenna for the new tower.
>I'm trying to decide between a single Force 12 C-4XL or a C-3 and an
>EF-240s.  The cost difference is within $1.  Any thoughts about the benefits
>of a single antenna vs a tribander and a two element 40M beam?

Well, your mileage may vary, but here's what I see.

The C-4XL puts significantly more torque on the tower, by virtue of its
longer boom.  N6BT talked me out of one for my Rohn 25 in favor of the pair
of antennas, for that reason.

Weaknesses of the separate antennas --

The 40m feedpoint is a long way from the mast, making it inconvenient to
tweak for best match; and

you probably need 10 feet minimum spacing -- mine is only 6 feet, and I
have turned the 40m yagi 90 degrees to reduce perturbation of the 15 meter
performance of the C-3.

73, Pete N4ZR

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----