[TowerTalk] Ladder Line and Coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ladder Line and Coax
From: k3nd@yahoo.com (GALE STEWARD)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 12:33:11 -0700 (PDT)
Have been thinking of installing a simple antenna to
cover the SE in contests and as a backup in general.
Was considering a inverted vee hung from the tower and
fed with ladder line & tuner.  I want to cover only 10
thru 40.  My question is this: my tower is about 100
ft ftom the house and want to feed this antenna with
ladder line near the ground, how do I handle that
transition to coax?  A 4:1 balun, a 9:1 balun, other?
Is it even worth doing with the losses incurred due to
the mismatch in 100 ft of coax?  Maybe a trap dipole
or inverted vee would be more appropriate?  I just
wondered if anyone had tried something similiar and
how it all worked out.

73, Stew  K3ND