[TowerTalk] Coax recommendation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax recommendation
From: w5kp@swbell.net (J. Kincade)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:55:32 -0500
Whilst at the local rigging shop the other day, I saw for sale some "chinese
fingercuff" type things made from woven springy steel wire, used for pulling
cable. Phone company uses some, as do some electrical contractors. They are
about a foot or so long, and distribute the weight of the pull evenly on the
jacket for their entire length. One of these in about 1/2" diameter would
seem to be the trick, or one at each level of the crankup if you're worried
about the cable pulling itself apart. Never tried it myself, because I never
wanted to own a crankup - I'm scared of them. Too many moving parts and
things for Murphy to get hold of.
73, Jerry W5KP

> The trick is to not attach the coax directly to the tower except at
> the very top.  If you are concerned that the weight may be as issue,
> you can run a KEVLAR or phyllistran "messenger line" from the top of
> the tower and attach the coax to that. The 1200 pound stuff is cheap,
> indestructible and easy to tiewrap/tape the coax to. The messenger is
> likewise secured at a fixed point at the bottom of the tower.  When
> you crank down the tower, the coax just pays itself on the ground.  No
> binding and the coils just form almost automatically.

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----