[TowerTalk] Force12 Inquiry

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force12 Inquiry
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:47:29 -0500
> Does anyone have any experience with the Force12, C31XR?  I would
appreciate
> comments on this antenna.

> Does anyone have any experience with the Force12, C31XR?  I would
appreciate
> comments on this antenna.

A+

Mine has been at 72 ft on my Glen Martin Tower for 2 yrs, including survival
of 2 Indiana spring winds and winters.  It went together easily - I really
liked the riveted design.  Out of many, many rivets, only about 2 holes were
malaligned - trivial to drill new hole with 1/8 in bit as I recall.

Since I was using the Glen Martin Hazer, I was able to attch the boom to the
mast at about 7 ft off the ground and build the rest of the elements using a
stepladder - EASY!

I checked SWR with an MFJ analyzer with about 100ft of Bury-Flex with the
antenna about 30 ft up.  Later with that 100 ft Bury Flex and another 550 ft
LMR-600DB in the line, and the yagi at 72 ft, the SWR was almost the same as
it was during the test situation.  I did not suffer the so called "15M
problem" that some have described on the reflectors.  My worst SWR is about
1.5 at 14080.  Everywhere else it's lower, and it's only about 1.2 across
15M.

They will tell you some stuff about running the parallel feed lines close
together to avoid swr problems on 15M - I did it that way, but I also tested
it with wider spacing and it was still good!  THus I don't understand this
"problem" at all!  I just put it together like the manual said, and it has
worked beautifully ever since first reaching it's full height 2 yrs ago.  I
keep telling myself that I should bring it down for an inspection - maybe
this fall.....??

I use the B-1 balun, and it has stood up to the Wx and to 1000-1500W of RTTY
contesting for 2 yrs without a hitch - the SWR is exactly the same as it was
2 yrs ago.

Does it get out?  SURE!  You can get some specific gain data as actually
measured in Steve's Tribander Comparison report.  As I recall, the C31XR was
one of the antennas that measured the closest to advertised specs in those
tests.

Good luck - If you want a tribander without traps to worry about, easy
assembly, and great gain and F:B, I don't see how you could go wrong with
the C31XR.

KD4OL -> I have some photos if you're interested.  There's also a F12
reflector you might be interested in.  GL- 73

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----