[TowerTalk] tuner/stepper motors?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tuner/stepper motors?
From: wa2bpe@exotrope.net (WA2BPE)
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 16:40:05 -0400
I have not yet sone so, but intend to remotely adjust a tuner using "dead" Black
& Decker (or other) NiCad powered screwdrivers that have lots of gearing and
plenty of torque.  It is somewhat of a hassle to replace the batteries
(considering they are < $20 brand new) + they can sometimes be found at yard
sales for a buck or two.  Make adapters to couple to the shafts (start with
steel hex stock), add an external 24V DC pwr supply (no regulation rqd) &
controls (+ maybe a few caps to suppress commutator noise) and a fleamarket tv
camera/B&W monitor to watch controls & the VSWR meter (yes, it could all be done
remotely) and have at it.  This is in no way as sophisticated as the stepper
method but the "KISS" approach has merit.

73,  Tom - WA2BPE

alsopb wrote:

> Anybody out there successfully used stepper motors to power variable
> caps in remote tuners?  The ability to have good
> precision/repeatability seems idea.  Chief problem seems to be
> obtaining one with enough torque.
>
> Have a BASIC stamp which evidently allows one to generate the proper
> signals.
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO
>
> List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
> supporting towers up to 96 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com