[TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Tubing Strength Correction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Tubing Strength Correction
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:12:52 -0600
OOPS, sorry.  It was late and I was lazy leading me to
jump to a wrong conclusion.  The original example (see below)
was for SOLID cylinders, NOT thin walled cylinders.  For a
better understanding of the mechanics involved, refer to Chapter 3
of Physical Design of Yagi's by David Leeson, W6QHS / W6NL
or any good mechanical engineering text.

The SECTION  MODULUS for a hollow cylindrical element is

    S = Pi  X  ( D^4 - d^4) / 32 D  where D is o.d. and d is i.d.

Bending Stress (lb/in^2) =  M / S  where M is the Bending Moment (in-lb)

The Maximum Allowable Bending Stress is equal to the Yield Strength (Y)
of the material  (6061-T6 is 35,000 psi,  6063-T5 is 15,000 psi).  For
these materials, there is a 2.3 : 1 advantage to the stronger material.

The Maximum Allowable Bending MOMENT,  M = Y times S

To compare M for different element sizes, you can compute the
section modulus for each size and wall thickness.  This is best
done in a chart or spread sheet, a good "exercise for the student".

For D = 2 in. and d = 1.88 in. (0.60 in. wall thickness),
D^4 - d^4 = 16 - 12.5 =  3.5

For D = 1 in and d = 0.88 in.
D^4 - d^4 = 1 - 0.6 = 0.4

The ratio of S(2) to S(1) = 8.75 which means that a 2 inch tube
is 8.75 times as strong (in bending moment) as a 1 inch tube
assuming 0.058 wall thickness (rounded to 0.06).

A 2 inch tube is 2.4 times as strong (in bending moment)
as a 1.5 inch tube and 4.3 times as strong (in bending moment)
as a 1.25 inch tube assuming 0.058 wall thickness (rounded to 0.06).

Outside Diameter plays a role in computing the actual force that
a tube can withstand, reducing this effect by one level.  Note -
Mechanical Engineers - please feel free to step in and clarify this
point!

Bottom Line:  Bending Strength increases non-linearly as a
complicated exponential function of diameter versus the linear
relationship to yield strength.  In other words, a small increase
in diameter yields a much greater increase in strength than a
similar percentage increase in yield strength of the material.

de Tom  N4KG  (an Electrical Engineering playing with Mechanics)

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001  n4kg@juno.com writes:

> Yep, NN4T had problems with 2 inch o.d. tapered to 1-1/4 and
> he didn't even have to consider ICE.  His 2 inch o.d. 42 ft
> verticals with couplers seem quite rigid with only one set of guys.
>
> Remember, maximum bending moment of a thin cylinder
> goes up as the 4th power of the diameter so a 2 inch diameter
> section will be 16* times stronger than a 1 inch diameter section.
> A double walled section will be less than twice as strong as
> a single walled section of equal wall thickness.

        *(actually 8.75 as shown above)