Fw: [TowerTalk] CC 5L 6M Beam A50-5S

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [TowerTalk] CC 5L 6M Beam A50-5S
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:14:56 -0600
--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: K8MFO@aol.com
To: n4kg@juno.com
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 06:31:27 EDT
Subject: Re: Fw: [TowerTalk] A4S between two A50-5S

Tom:

I always found it to be lacking in performance.    You have 5 elements,
equally spaced on a 12 foot boom!     I did the "K6STI mod" to mine,
extending the boom to 22 feet, 9 inches, and changing all of the element
lengths and spacing.    It made the beam into something that is
competitive.
      I know that a lot of people use the 5 element "as is"  and are
happy.
  But it was not a pileup cracker for me.

73,  Don  K8MFO

No problem on the A50-5S info.    The article by K6STI appeared in the
November/December 1993 issue of "The DX Magazine".  Brian used NEC
to come up with his optimized six meter yagi.    I had just lost my Hy
Gain
6 element 6 meter beam to a tree falling over it, and Paul - K8III (later
W8ZH) pointed me in the direction of the article.     I have never
regretted doing it.

Brian's article gives dimensions for three different element scenarios:

#1  0.375" diameter, with a nonconductive mounting bracket
#2  0.5" diameter,  with a nonconductive mounting bracket
#3  Using an existing Cushcraft 5 or 6 element beam.

Since I had a A50-5S lying in the aluminum pile, I went in that
direction.
I ordered the boom extension material from Texas Towers, and put it
together.
 The extended boom does droop a bit, so I made one of the "K3LR type
trusses"
and now it looks good.    It has been a very competitive antenna for me.

I agree with you on using current totals for the single band awards.

Makes everything more meaningful.

73  Don  K8MFO