[TowerTalk] Prop Pitch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch
From: k5go@alltel.net (Stan Stockton)
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 10:20:02 -0500
Seeking a few opinions.  Bought a box about 20 years ago that has a bearing
at the top and another about a foot below with a 2.75 inch mast that goes
through both bearings.  In between the two bearings the mast has a bevel
gear from a prop pitch and the prop pitch mounts at an angle from the
outside with the top of the prop pitch inside the box and the two gears
engaged.  The box is designed to mount on the top of the tower using the 4
large bolts that hold the lower bearing.

Want to use it to turn a 3L 40M yagi, but have some concern that the top
plate might rip off the 45G tower.  Lenghening the mast and installing
another bearing below might not help (?) since there would be two bearings
above the top plate of the tower.

Should I use it as is or remove the lower bearing from the box and install
it on a separate plate down the tower a few feet?

I particularly like the ability to easily remove the prop pitch without
disturbing anything else.  The fact that the top of the prop pitch is
enclosed and the rotator is mounted at an angle helping with water drainage
is another bonus.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stan, K5GO

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,