[TowerTalk] NO lot antenna

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] NO lot antenna
From: (Barry )
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 18:26:46 -0000
For many years, I lived in apartments and condos.  The best
apartment antenna I ever had was a multi-band 1/2 wave dipole with
wires for 80, 40, 20, and 10 all connected to a common center
feed, fed with RG213 (when living on Long Island, NY).  It was a 3
story building, and I was permitted access to the roof.  I used a 10
ft steel mast for the center insulator, and fanned the wires out in
both directions.  It worked great. As a matter of fact, I remember a
bunch of LIDXA guys stopping by to see it, cuz they couldn't
believe how well it worked, especially on 80.

At other QTHs, I had no outdoor access and ran short dipoles or
random wires through attic crawlspaces, etc. They worked
reasonably well too.

IMO, verticals suck - plain and simple. If you don't have a salt
marsh or 20+ radials underneath, a random wire or dipole will
outperform a vertical almost every time.  I once tried one of those
no-radial multi-band verticals, and a simple dipole at 30 ft was
about 4-S units superior.

Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet:

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,