[TowerTalk] Low Band Verticals

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Low Band Verticals
From: (Bob Nielsen)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:42:40 -0700
On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 09:00:20AM -0600, wrote:
> For some unknown reason, the MFJ-1792 is not highly
> advertised and promoted.  The HF2V has been around
> for a long time and has been heavily advertised / promoted.
> It was an early entry in the Low Band antenna game and
> has performed reasonably well for a lot of people.  There
> have been a few reports from very satisfied users of the
> MFJ-1792 here on TowerTalk.  K4SQR reports that some
> buyers of his 80M 4 Square box are using the MFJ 1792.

Just don't take too seriously the blurb on the MFJ web site where it
says "3 feet of ruthless radiating power".

> I just purchased an MFJ-1793, modified to include 30M,
> and plan on installing it in a clear field where the nearest
> metal object, a 12X24 storage building is ~150 ft (1/2 WL)
> away and the nearest towers are ~300 ft (1WL) away.
> I will compare it with my Elevated GP and tree supported
> wire vertical and report back to TowerTalk at a later date.

Does MFJ supply the additional parts needed to lengthen the 20 meter
stub for use on 30 meters?  I suspect that if they came out with a new
model which featured this, it might be popular, since many hams have
yagis/quads for 14 MHz and up and are looking to cover the lower

> Note that the MFJ 1792 is NOTHING like the NO RADIAL
> MultiBand antennas they also sell.

I suspect that in many peoples minds it is tarred with the same brush.

Bob, N7XY

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,