[TowerTalk] True Or Not True #2

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] True Or Not True #2
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger)
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:56:06 -0700 (PDT)
In marginal conditions, such as daytime on the lower bands, or at the
edges of a skip zone, etc, where the signal is at or in the noise,
adding 2 db to your signal is helpful. For certain digital modes, you
can go from no-copy to copy in 2 db's. The intended use and the time
and frequency of intended use will dictate whether it will matter. Most
people do some operating in marginal conditions, and it will help.

If you are already out of the noise, it takes special circumstances for
another 2 db to count for anything. SIX db is an altogether different
matter, and can make you king of a pile-up where you were otherwise
just another caller in the pile.

The trick for six is to get some in the antenna, some in the feedline,
and some in the amp/transmitter to add up to six, as in 1.5 db better
in a new antenna, 2.5 db better in a lower loss feedline, 2 db better
in the amp.

W5WXYZ goes from an old HyGain short-boom tribander to a C19XR, 170' of
RG8X to 170' of BuryFlex, 100W to 200W. That's probably six+ db. Go to
1500 watts as well and it's probably 16+ db.

And of course, as always, the biggest db's are between the ears.

Regards, Guy.

--- 2 <2@vc.net> wrote:

> On HF/MF skywave, is a 58% increase in power out (2db) noticable at
> the
> Rx end?
>
> -  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
> end