[TowerTalk] True Or Not True #2

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] True Or Not True #2
From: (
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 15:05:00 -0600
On Thu, 06 Sep 2001  Pete Smith <> writes:
> At 11:56 AM 9/6/01 -0700, K2AV wrote:
> >
> >In marginal conditions, such as daytime on the lower bands, or at
> theedges of a skip zone, etc, where the signal is at or in the noise,
> >adding 2 db to your signal is helpful. For certain digital modes,
> you can go from no-copy to copy in 2 db's. The intended use and the
> time and frequency of intended use will dictate whether it will matter.

> Most>people do some operating in marginal conditions, and it will help.
> Another angle to consider.  1-2 dB better signal may not be
> discernible on
> any given QSO.  But over the course of a 48-hour DX contest, it may
> mean
> several dozen more European QRP stations with indoor dipoles in
> noisy
> locations get into the log, because those couple of dB can make the
> difference between your CQ being heard and not.
> 73, Pete N4ZR

HUH?  You mean if 2 dB makes the difference between
a QRP European hearing  YOUR  KW or not, do you really
think YOU will hear HIS  5W?    I think you need to
re-think this argument Pete :-)

I'll go along with the first argument and those of previous
posters.  Contesters, Moon Bouncers, and some DXers
go to great lengths for 2 dB.  It doesn't make much difference
for people who are not pushing the envelop of possibilities.

Tom  N4KG

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,