[TowerTalk] Thrust bearing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing
From: K7GCO@aol.com (K7GCO@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 01:47:06 EDT
barrie@centric.net writes:<<
 Hello:
  My previous question regarding a thrust bearing for a Telex Hy-Gain HG70-HD
 did not yield much response.

 Perhaps a better question would be:  Where can I get a very heavy-duty
 thrust bearing that will accept a 2" mast, and can be bolted to the flat
 steel plate at the top of the tower.

 Drilling, welding, machining or adapting is no problem.  I just need the
 bearing and bearing holder.

 The reason I need "very heavy duty" is because I'll have a 26' X 27'
 H-frame, four relatively large 6M beams, and an elevation rotor on the mast
 above the tower.
  Thank you,
  Barrie, W7ALW, Missoula, Montana

Thrust bearings seems to be a problem in many ways.  There is a thrust
bearing that never gives any problem, very cheap and is the simplest of all.
Just have the end of the mast rest on an aluminum plate.  Have another pipe
telescope into the mast and connect to the rotator through the same diameter
hole in the aluminum plate.  It's a complete bearing both ways and doesn't
need lubrication.  I have one that's over 50 years old.  It did wear a grove
about 1/8" deep.  So I reclamp it to the PP female once every 15 years or so
to assure no down weight thrust on the PP.  You can add thin washers under
the plate where it attaches to the tower also.  I rotate beams far more than
most also.  Only the Mfgs and those they brain wash think you need a fancy
thrust bearing.  There is usually an easier and cheaper way to do just about
anything it you put some thought to it.  k7gco

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----